2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
7 TB warm water
1 2/3 cups AP flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 lb Harvati cheese, or a substitute to your liking, grated
1 tsp butter, melted
- Mix yeast with warm water, stir in 1 TB of flour. Let stand until creamy and yeast activates (about 5 min). Make sure yeast activates (if not, start over!).
- Mix salt and flour, stir in egg and then yeast mixture, form dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until it comes together and becomes smooth and elastic (about 5-7 minutes). It will start out feeling very hard. You're close to being done with kneading when the dough becomes softer and very smooth. If you're not sure how to knead dough, look here. Form a ball of dough and let it rest in a container covered with plastic wrap, pushing it down every hour for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500F, put bread/pizza stone in oven for baking (or sheet pan you plan to use)
- Grate cheese, form it into a ball. Flatten dough out into a 7in circle, put cheese in the center and gather the edges around the cheese. Fasten the dough at the top and push down, pressing out the cheese from the center to distribute it evenly among the bread. Flatten into an 11in circle.
- Score the top to expose the cheese a little. Bake on the stone for 10-12 minutes, brush with melted butter, and then continue for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot!
|Normally khachapuri is flat. Make sure you spread the cheese evenly on the inside. I had a section without cheese (just bread) and it rose higher, making the bread lopsided. Lesson learned. Does not affect delicious factor.|